When writing your subject line, focus on the content and the subject line will come. A subject line can mean the difference between being read and being deleted. It deserves careful consideration. It shouldn’t just be engaging it should be descriptive — it should also be short enough to display entirely in a typical email window. Here are some tips for an effective subject line; mix or match as needed:
- Include a call to action such as Call Now or Join Today.
- Try for seven words or less — this will sift the important keywords and keyphrases to the top so that you are succinct and accurate.
- Catch phrases and deception will get you blocked as spam.
- Use numbers in your subject line, e.g., 5 Tips for Healthier Living or Only 3 Days Left. These make the project feel manageable.
- Look to other publications or try CopyBlogger.com for new ideas.
- Segment your list so that you can test several options.